During the first thirty or so years of the 20th century the theatre
became a stronghold of operas by Richard Strauss and Richard Wagner.
Although Hindemith’s “Sancta Susanna", Stravinsky’s "The Soldier’s
Tale", and Janaceks "Jenufa" also featured in the programme. Tenor
Enrico Caruso, conductor Arthur Nikisch and composer Eugen d'Albert –
three of whose operas premièred in Hamburg – were regulars at the opera
house. In 1914 the celebrated German baritone Heinrich Schlusnus was
The First World War brought difficulties for running an opera house as
well. But despite numerous members of staff being away on military
service – as many as 85, including directors, singers and conductors as
well as technical personnel – the number of performances did not
diminish. During the 1914/1915 season, 570 performances took place, 82
of which were Wagner performances. Despite difficult times, in 1925 the
people of Hamburg supported the conversion of the stage house. The next
year, the new theatre that still stands today was inaugurated with a
performance of Wagner’s “The Mastersingers of Nuremberg”.
In 1933, Heinrich K. Strohm, a government sympathiser, was appointed
Director. In 1934, he changed the name of the Stadt-Theater to the
“Hamburg State Opera”. The Artistic Musical Director, from the 1931/32
season to the end of 1933, was Karl Böhm. On 1st January 1934 he was
succeeded by Eugen Jochum. In 1938, on the occasion of the 260th
anniversary of the Hamburg Opera, a festival week was held. The theme
was “The Masters of German Opera”, from Händel to Pfitzner – Hitler,
Goebbels and von Rippentrop were all there.
During the night of 2nd August 1943 the auditorium was completely
destroyed in an air raid. Only the stage area was left standing.