Staatsoper Hamburg

Staatsoper Hamburg Keyvisual


 

Public commitment with rebuilding as well



For the second time in its history the Hamburg Opera owed its continuing existence to the committed involvement of the people of Hamburg. With the permission of the military government, the new beginning was marked on 9th January 1946 with a new production of Mozart’s “The Marriage of Figaro”. Günther Rennert, Opera Director in Hamburg since 1946, was appointed Manager and Artistic Director. Under his aegis regular performances of contemporary works went without saying at the Hamburg State Opera. During the first few years after the war he staged productions of the works of Gottfried von Einem, Arthur Honegger, Paul Hindemith, Werner Egk, Carl Orff, Gian-Carlo Menotti and Ermanno Wolf-Ferrari.

In 1952 the Hamburg ensemble once again found the energy to stage a three-week guest performance at the Edinburgh Festival prior to commencement of the season in September. The Hamburg contingent had six works from German composers along with them, enough for a total of 18 performances.

In February 1953, demolition of the ruined auditorium began. A new one was created to plans from architect Gerhard Weber. Up until its opening, on 15th October 1955, with a performance of Günther Rennert’s production of Mozart’s “Magic Flute”, the Musikhalle, the Thalia-Theater and the Theater am Besenbinderhof served as temporary venues.









































Hamburg State Opera 1946: The provisional auditorium in the still standing stage area. Opening on 10. January 1946 with Mozart’s “Die Hochzeit des Figaro”.

Hamburg State Opera 1949 till 1954: The auditorium was built in the old ruin, whereby the number of seats were doubled from 600 to 1200.

Rudolf Schock and Anne Bollinger in “Manon Lescaut”, 1954.

Anneliese Rothenberger and Toni Blankenheim in "Lulu", 1957 (production Günther Rennert)